Monday, February 18, 2013

Poster Design Continued

Progress.
All week I've been changing direction in how I want to do my posters. I want them to be simple and minimalistic with a "worn" feel.

I had come up with a few different looks. Out of those, I think these two designs are simple, yet effective.


 

I haven't started on this yet, but I had an idea on how to get a rustic look. I had done a project a couple years ago where I made a wood grain in illustrator. I think it would be neat twist to incorporate that look into these posters.


Here's a quick example of what it could look like (with some tweaks, of course) -- maybe add a little "rust" quality -- burn the actual edges once printed?:


I've not only struggled with the look, but also the content. There are so many important stories in the Bible that I could choose from. So many that it makes it overwhelming choosing a select few.

I had numerous ideas of how I could tackle this.
1. Stories based on courage (Daniel & the Lions Den, David & Goliath, the Crucifixion, etc.)
2. The 7 days of creation
3. The 10 stages of plagues of Egypt in the book of Exodus
4. The 4 main parts of Jesus's life (Birth, Crucifixion, Ascension, Return)
5. Major stories of the Bible -- would be cool to compile into a book (Not sure if I would be biting off too much to chew)

POSSIBLE STORIES LIST (In the works)
- Creation
- The Fall
- The Flood
- The Plagues
- Victory over Jericho
- 10 Commandments

- Water to wine
- Feeding the 5000
- David and Goliath

- Psalm 23
- Jesus' Birth
- Jesus' Temptation (Matthew 4:1-11)
- Choosing of the Disciples
- The Last Supper
- The Crucifixion
- Resurrection (Shows hands and feet from the nails)
- The Ascension
- Revelation

Future Project Ideas.
With this poster project, along with my Farm website, that makes for two projects left.

1. I want to do projects to show in my BFA show at the end of the semester, so I believe showing a something in the print area would be strong and show the different skills that I have. For this I wanted to do a "Game Day" program. I coach a softball team, so this would be easy to get images and content for the small magazine.
Examples of Game Day programs:
 


2. I wanted to do a little something different. I had saw an artist on artistsinspireartists.com. She painted landscapes, portraits, and still life on the backs of pennies. I love the idea of small minute details and having the viewer really look at the piece of work. I like doing something that is useful, has a purpose, or is educational, so I'm not sure if I would follow this idea still or not. Instead of painting, I would take photographs of landscapes, print them out onto tracing-like paper, and mod-podge them to coins.
Example from Artist:
 



No comments:

Post a Comment